We love fashion, but we are also extremely concerned about the impact the fashion industry has on people and the environment.
- The majority of people who make clothes for the global market live in poverty, and are subject to exploitation, working in unsafe and dirty conditions with very little pay.1
- 36 million people are living in modern slavery today, many of who are working in the supply chains of Western brands.2
- The apparel industry is the 4th largest industrial polluter and accounts for 8% of global carbon emissions.3
- The average American sends 70 pounds of clothes to landfills every year. That's 21 billion pounds of post consumer textile waste per year!4
- Less than 20% of what gets donated to charities gets resold.5
Swap Society members refresh their wardrobes without the guilt that fast fashion perpetuates, with the added reward of saving money by not buying new.